What I like about this recipe is that you don't need exact measurements or amounts. If I make it for breakfast, I use one sweet potato and half an apple. If I make it for a holiday get together (like with this recipe amount), I use A LOT more. You can also use more sweet potato - less apple, or an equal combination of the two.
- 6 large Sweet potatoes
- 8 small/medium Granny smith apples
- Cinnamon to sprinkle
- (walnuts or pecans optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line large baking tray with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray - note: I have a GIANT baking tray if you don't have a very large one, i'd recommend splitting up your batch on two trays to make sure all pieces are touching the bottom
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes and peel apples (leave apple skin on) - make your apple cubes bigger than your sweet potatoes, since they cook down much quicker
- Place cubed sweet potatoes and apples onto baking tray, sprinkle with cinnamon, toss, then put one last coat of cooking spray on top
- Put tray into oven; cook for 60 minutes (but check every 20 minutes and give a good toss) - you may need more cook time if you want the sweet potatoes and apples to get caramelized
See, I told you how easy this was. You can even make it the day before and reheat in oven/microwave, or put in a crock pot before your get together! Another bonus is that when you make it, your house smells amazing.
What dishes are you making for your holiday get together's? I'll be whipping up a GF cornbread tomorrow morning, as well!