Last Fall, I came across this recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to make them for myself. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. I ended up packaging these up and gave them out to a few family members as Christmas gifts; they were a hit! The first time I whipped them up, I followed the recipe exactly - then the second time, I tweaked it just a bit... here is what I did.
- 1.5 cups shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup stevia cup for cup, 1/4 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup all sugar)
- 2.5 egg whites (2 egg whites and a 'plop' of another egg white will suffice)
- 2 tbsp Namaste GF flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees, line a baking tray with aluminum foil (or parchment) and spray lightly with cooking spray
- In bowl, mix together coconut, sugar, salt and flour
- Next, add in egg whites and vanilla and combine well
- Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and pecans
- Using a cookie scoop, forms mounds to place on baking tray *Note: Use those arm muscles here! pack the cookie scoop as tightly as you can, trying to get all the air out so the batter is packed tightly.. otherwise they will fall apart (but would still taste delish, i'm sure)
- Bake for ~18 minutes OR until they start to get golden brown
- Transfer to cooling rack, and allow to cool fully.... if you can wait
I was so happy with how these turned out; I even got my "Coconut-Hating-Husband" to try one.... and he ate the whole thing. They brought me back to days in High School when there would be the 'Bake Sale'. I'd always get some puppy chow and a 7-layer bar (if I was lucky enough to grab one before they were sold out). I loved those things, and these macaroons are basically a crust-less version of the original bar. Seriously, yum.
All of these pictures are making me hungry, time to figure out a snack for Baby P. By the way - we find out the gender NEXT FRIDAY! How is it possible that i'm almost 5 months pregnant.?!?.... This is going WAY TOO FAST. Plus side, i'm finally starting to get a wee-little-bump #ihadtobuymaternityjeans. Look out for a 5 month 'bumpdate' sometime next week!