The crisp turned out so good, but I left the rest at their house so they can enjoy it. However, I knew I had to make another crisp today, so that Joey and I can indulge ourselves as well. Here is what I did.
- 5 medium sized apples (I used a mix of the tart varieties; granny smith and cortland)
- 1/4 cup sugar (I did 2 tbsp Stevia & 2 tbsp light brown sugar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup GF flour
- 3/4 cup GF quick oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar (same combo as above)
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel and slice apples in 1/4 inch slices; then half them - transfer to bowl
- Sprinkle on the 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar - mix and coat apples
- Transfer apples to a greased 9x9 baking dish
- In bowl, combine 3/4 cup GF oats, 1/4 cup GF flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar and melted butter - then stir in chopped walnuts
- Pour crisp mixture evenly over the chopped apples
- Place into oven and bake for 30-40 minutes; or until the crisp topping turns slightly golden brown
- Remove from oven and let sit until juices (at bottom of pan) start to thicken up (or you can just eat right away) ;)
You could serve this alongside some vanilla ice cream, or with a dollop of whipped cream. OR you could do what we did.... and just eat it plain; in its simplicity & perfection.
Do you and your family have any Fall time traditions? What are some of your favorite Fall inspired recipes?